Blog

The Portes du Soleil lift system

There has been huge and continued investment in the whole of the Portes du Soleil lift system since we established our activities here in 2002. You can list on one hand the local lifts that have not been replaced and although there are still a couple of ‘weak’ links in the system,  as a whole the quality and speed of access is unrecognisable compared to just a few years ago.

The availability of skiing in Morzine is wide and varied with approximately 20% of the skiing is in the immediate local area of Morzine-Les Gets and the remaining 80% accessed via the hub of Avoriaz giving  access to Swiss villages of Morgins, Torgon, Les Crosets, Champery, Champpousin and the French resorts of Chatel and Montriond.

The lift pass price is rising yearly and now sits around 250€ for an Adult 6 day pass  but if you consider the terrain this gives access to, it still represents by a huge margin the best value for money in the alps in terms of kilometres of piste available for your Euro.

The major improvements in recent seasons have been-

The Pleney bubble connecting Morzine village to the Pleney ski area was completely replaced for last season, the new lift system alleviates queuing during the morning rush where skiers gain access for  ski lessons at the top of the local Pleney slopes. An extension to the underground car park allows access for drop off and collection near the lifts.

The old ‘Prodains’ cable car with a capacity 600 persons per hour was replaced with a new high speed gondola with a capacity of 2400 persons per hour. The new lift system opened in April 2013 and operated well last season. This lift has completely transformed the accessibility of Avoriaz resort and now provides the most efficient connection to the higher ski slopes. This is easily accessible from both our chalets and the lift we use to access the rest of the Portes du Soleil. The success of this lift had led to the the old 3 man chair ‘Verare’ becoming obsolete as the cable car can easily deal with demand even during the peak weeks.

In Switzerland the once underfunded resorts of Morgin and Champoussin have benefited from the new lifts at ‘Pointe de l’Au’ and ‘Boshasses’ which have removed the bottle neck to skiers returning to Avoriaz and Morzine.